Basic rules used as a guide to writing press releases
There are some basic rules that should be adhered to when writing a press release if you want it to be effective. These rules which act as a guide to writing press releases, will fall into one of three areas:
- Press release structure – Journalists and editors prefer press releases all use the same format to make finding information easy. The press release should be structured as follows:
- Lead paragraph
- Final paragraph
- Contact information
The body of the press release should start with the most important information first and include the least important at the end.
- Press release writing style:
- Press releases should be written in the third person like a newspaper story
- Paragraphs should be kept short and contain no more than three or four sentences
- Sentences should be short and punchy much like in a newspaper
- Write in simple language that is easy to understand.
The goal is a press release that is clear and concise without excess wording.
- Press release content:
- Newsworthy content. Make sure the press release headline you submit can be considered newsworthy
- Include the who, what, when, where, why and how of the story. This information should be provided in the lead paragraph and expanded on in the body of the press release.
- Include one or two quotes if possible
- Have a call to action in the press release
- Make sure to include contact information
Tips that are useful as a guide to writing press releases
The following are some helpful tips that can be used as a guide to writing a press release:
- Write a catchy headline that tells what the press release is about and makes the reader want to continue. Use keywords in the headline.
- Include a subheading and use keywords.
- Keep your target audience in mind when writing. Write what will interest them.
- Don’t write a sales pitch. Avoid selling in the press release.
- Proofread and edit
If you need more help than a press release guide, one alternative is to contact our press release services.
Our press release services
Running a business may not leave you time for personally writing your press release. You can delegate press release writing and distribution to our press release services. We are experts when it comes to press releases. Our writers are seasoned professionals with plenty of experience, and we have an extensive network for press release distribution. Benefits of using our service include:
- Guarantees on all work provided
- Affordable rates
- Customer support 24/7
- Easy online order and payment process
When you need press release writing or distribution, contact us and put our expertise to work for you.
Image credit: http://www.slideshare.net/BenjyBoxer/introduction-to-product-management-42801108