What is a news press release?
A news press release, also called a press release or news release, is a statement prepared for release to the media, written in the third person, that seeks to demonstrate to an editor or reporter the newsworthiness of a person, event, service or product. It has always been used as a means of promoting something but has changed somewhat from the traditional press releases of the “old days” although some aspects remain the same. At one time only a few people in the media industry would see every press release in its original format, and media people would decide if the general public would have access. Today you must not only know how to write a news release for the news media as well as movie press release, but how to write it for the internet and social media.
How to write a news release
In some ways writing a news release hasn’t changed. There are certain basic points and formats that will be followed. These include the following:
- Write in the third person, as if it were a news story
- Have an attention getting title for your story
- Include all the basic information you want to convey in the first paragraph. This is the who, what, when, where and why of the news release
- Keep things brief. A news release shouldn’t be too long. All the information is in your first paragraph. This information can be expanded on in the next couple of paragraphs.
- A final paragraph that contains information about the company and is what was formerly known as boilerplate.
What has changed in the way news releases are written has much to do with the way information is distributed. The news release you have written above should also include the following
- In your company paragraph include a link to your website, your Twitter feed and your Facebook fan page.
- Multimedia links-links to videos, pictures and RSS feeds and things of this nature
- Relevant links-links to other related products, services etc.
- Tags- recommended sharing methods, social bookmarking sites, Twitter hashtags etc.
Contact information will be at the bottom
Good points to remember writing your news press release
Always remember these basics when preparing your news release
- Use an attention getting headline
- Cover the who, what, when, where and why in your first paragraph
- Don’t go on to long. Keep it brief.
- Take advantage of social media
- Proofread your news release
If you still aren’t sure how to write a news release let our company help. We provide a press release writing service that gets results. Our writers are professionals with extensive experience in writing web press release or news releases. We offer an easy to use online ordering process and affordable rates for premium service.
Complete customer satisfaction is guaranteed so contact us for any of your news release needs!